I don't really know where to start. I think the most embarrassing error this past week were the mistakes in the unittest files related to exercise 3. Now perhaps I'm just spoiled from the prerequisite course where errors by the teaching staff were nearly nonexistent or handled so well I didn't take notice, but given that this is a skill that relies on precision and accuracy in the scientific sense it's bothersome that there have been just so many misprints, typos, and other flaws. There's also great confusion regarding assignment two part two. To the extent that a good number of people are initially unsure of what the parameter and return types of some of the functions are.
I don't want to dwindle on it too long for there are many other evaluations this coming week. What was nice about class however (aside from hilarious moment where I witnessed an instructor reluctantly ask for an extra pen) was the overlap between CSC148 and CSC165 on run-time analysis. In both classes we have been studying big - Oh notation's use to approximate (with an upper bound) the run-time of a function. In this class the analysis is greatly focused on application and many examples concerning sorting algorithms were shown. The other course goes deeper into the mathematical theory.
I'll end on a plus: I was able, after hitting my head against the wall enough times, to put together a decent algorithm that handles permutations. I for one am surprised more people aren't flailing about for help on this but maybe like the tower of Hanoi problem the algorithm or a related one was covered in the other class section. Then again I might not be very good at this ... oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment