Trees can come in many different forms than I had imagined. I spoke of the basic tree design before but it can be broken down into nodes. In a binary tree the node class has a primary data attribute and a left and right node. The binary search tree then uses the nodes as its parts but sorts the data accordingly as they are inserted.
In other news, the assignment 2 part 1 document was still fairly vague but at least there didn't seem to be any mistakes. I personally believe assignments that do not require much of or any starter code, such as the exercises, can provide the most interesting, understandable, and effective learning experience much more readily. As a matter of fact the instructions for this current exercise (3) maintains the high quality of question design, so there's an odd disconnect between the design of the assignments and exercises.
Finally the first test went smoothly and the questions were fair. I hope it reflects the approach of proceeding evaluations.
Hold on ... for a moment I had forgotten my username. I have critical comment or tip to people in the class. Instructor Danny Heap seems partial to giving out hints in lab and exercise documents. Ignore these completely if you have even the slightest vision for your program. Often I find there are a myriad of ways to provide a proper implementation for our relatively low level of understanding and rigor. I also specifically want to make a distinction between mathematical and computer science hints. If there's a trick (ie recursion) this can be a life saver but once a direction for implementation has been imposed upon you your creativity is diminished. I more often than not find myself lead astray by many of his hints and approaching a CS problem freshly (with an understanding of the subject material obviously) is the only way we're ever going to gain any solid programming skills.
Hold on ... for a moment I had forgotten my username. I have critical comment or tip to people in the class. Instructor Danny Heap seems partial to giving out hints in lab and exercise documents. Ignore these completely if you have even the slightest vision for your program. Often I find there are a myriad of ways to provide a proper implementation for our relatively low level of understanding and rigor. I also specifically want to make a distinction between mathematical and computer science hints. If there's a trick (ie recursion) this can be a life saver but once a direction for implementation has been imposed upon you your creativity is diminished. I more often than not find myself lead astray by many of his hints and approaching a CS problem freshly (with an understanding of the subject material obviously) is the only way we're ever going to gain any solid programming skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment